Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Russia Honors *Defenders of the Fatherland*

As we approach midnight, the celebratory fireworks have faded away here in Rostov-on-Don, Russia. You see, February 23rd is an official Russian holiday, a red day on the calendar, known as the Day of the Defenders of the Fatherland. Originally the holiday was to honor members of the Red Army, but nowadays, all men are pleased to be congratulated. Including little tykes who are defending nothing more than their own honor out on the playground.


The card says, 23 of February. (Congratulations) with the Day of the Defenders of the Fatherland!

Now, if I had my act together, I'd have baked a double-batch of brownies and sprinted up the stairway here, delivering treats to the neighbor guys. But come to think of it, I did all that for Thanksgiving. So maybe they'll forgive me.


Fortunately Russian President Demitry Mevedev was busy congratulating the guys. He's got his act together, that's for sure.

No comments: